Monday, August 17, 2009

Update: Our library will stay open, fewer hours and staff, but open. Yeah.

Nothing sickens me more than the closed door of a library.
- Barbara Tuchman

This past Wednesday someone who had been sitting in budget meetings told me that because of California’s money problems worst case scenario is that two of the five public libraries in my county will close--including the one that is a vital part of my personal eco-system. This inspired me to wage a frantic email assault on my county supervisors and to become maudlin over the following quotations:

Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container.
-Unknown

Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest.
- Lady Bird Johnson

A library is thought in cold storage.
- Herbert Samuel

Your library is your portrait.
- Holbrook Jackson

A circulating library in a town is as an evergreen tree of diabolical knowledge! It blossoms through the year!
- Richard Brainsley Sheridan

They are the books, the arts, the academes,
That show, contain and nourish all the world.
- William Shakespeare, Love's Labour's Lost


With special thanks to http://www.useful-information.info/quotations/library_quotes.html. from whom I have borrowed liberally in a good cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment